View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #28
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
That was the business model of B.Dalton and WaldenBooks: be everywhere so you could capture sales whenever readers walked buy. "Drive-by bookselling". Instead of making book buying a purposeful decision (drive 20-30 miles to a temple of books) make it an incidental stop (Hey, Walden's just across the aisle! I wonder what's new...).

That psychology worked for a couple decades, it can still work today with a tweak or two on the logistics. Especially on *casual* book readers.

And casual book readers are always in play, unlike avid readers.
It did work pretty well, and to a certain extent it seems a natural step in "devolving" the big stores.

One big problem, though, especially for the casual book readers, is that there is a lot of competition for popular books from non-traditional booksellers like Walmart and Target. I haven't actually counted, but these stores seem to carry several hundred titles at least: bestsellers and a lot of popular genre fiction. The selection tends to be wide and shallow, but I suspect that it's completely adequate for people who may read a few books a year in popular genres, and at least convenient for regular readers who may be interested in a book that just came out.

It's been a long time since I've been in a B. Dalton or Waldenbooks, but they tended to have *some* series depth, although it seems like it was limited.

They had an okay reference section and actually a lot of non-fiction - two areas in which Target and Walmart and grocery stores are pretty weak, so there is that.

A related issue is that malls have become significantly less popular in the US than they were in the heyday of B.Dalton and Walden: a bookstore in a mall today won't give you the same bang for the buck it did in the 80's.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote