View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 01:31 AM   #5
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by taglines View Post
So I think it's fair to say Tom C. is not really an ebook skeptic, I think he is very interested to learn more about alll this, and just asking some questions. He is part of the Digital Revolution himself.
Hmmm. He seems quite solidly against ebooks to me. Though he isn't calling us Nazis (thank goodness!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The E-book Skeptic
But when something comes along that is demonstrably worse than what it is trying to replace, yet the conventional wisdom nevertheless holds that this new technology is the inevitable wave of the (none too distant) future, it leads the ebook skeptic to wonder just what is going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The E-book Skeptic
What about the Kindle, the Sony Reader, and the nook? Aren't their screens different from the computer screens these studies have investigated?

--Yes, these devices use a process called e-ink that is different from the display on any computer screen. These new displays still, however, look and feel more like a computer screen than a printed page. They are also so new that, as far as the e-book skeptic knows, there are no peer reviewed studies that test their bona fides.

Until these kinds of studies are available--let the buyer (and reader) beware. Given the research presented here, I think it would be fair to assume these devices are deficient, until they are proven otherwise. At the least they should come with a warning label to the effect that similar devices have been show to be deficient in the areas of memory and understanding.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote