Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #1143
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post

Paperwhite 5.3.3 users:
Please don't spam this thread asking when there will be a version for Firmware 5.3.3. I'm not a patch-porting machine, and it will be released when it's ready. If Amazon weren't re-obfuscating their classes with every new firmware release, almost all of the patches would simply work on all firmware versions, and the time and energy could actually go into the development of new useful patches. But Amazon are really doing a great job in transforming patch development from an interesting and challenging hobby into a boring and tedious maintenance nightmare. WTF is wrong with you, lab126?!
I love Amazon, having been a customer from the beginning (and especially after they removed "Special Offers" from my paperwhite AT NO CHARGE (even though I told them I was happy to pay) because I was unable to do it myself online as I don't have a US billing address), but I can't help thinking they're missing a trick here in their quest to be "Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company".

I have had an iPhone since the very first version, and I remember all the hassles we had to go through to jailbreak it (not me - people much much smarter than me who worked out how to do it) to get what I thought was some pretty basic functionality into it.....I recall I had a list of 5-6 things that I needed it to do, which it didn't. However, over time, all of these things were gradually incorporated into the OS, and now I am running iOS bog standard, unjailbroken, and it does all the things I need it to do.

I don't know, but I strongly suspect that Apple kept an eye on boards like this and made a note of why people were jailbreaking and what functionality they were installing.....and eventually they incorporated this functionality into the OS.

Of course, they also fought a running battle with the jailbreakers, plugging jailbreak holes with each new update, which is fair enough....but the point is, they seemed to be taking note of the functionality that MOST people were looking for and incorporating it into their own OS, thus removing the need for jailbreaking for MOST of their client base.

Of course, also, there will always be people who need or wish to jailbreak devices, either simply because they can, or because they need it to do something totally obscure, (to most of us) but that they see as necessary functionality.

So, I am surprised that Amazon hasn't incorporated things like ixtab's hyphenation hack, or NiLuJe's screensaver hack or some of the other popular ones (and you can easily see what they are simply by reading through this thread) into the OS. They've all been out there long enough for Amazon to have noted how popular they are and to have been able to incorporate them, if they'd been paying attention.

Anyone from Amazon reading this?

Just my (slightly off-topic, and for that, I apologize) opinion.

Hendrix
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote