Thread: Mobi vs. ePub
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Is there any difference between ebooks in Mobi format, compared with those in ePub? I don't mean the really technical details of how they are created, I'm just curious as to whether there is any difference from the consumers' point-of-view?
If you haven't checked out wallcraft's excellent format review, I strongly recommend doing so. LOTR books are to date one of the better formatted ebooks out there. There you can do a visual inspection as to which book format looks better for you. Also you can also run this check on your PC.
If you go to FeedBooks you can download both an ePUB and MOBI version of the same book and see which format you like most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Is one superior to the other? If so, in what way(s)? If not, why not? Actually, the latter probably doesn't matter. What about throwing Adobe Digital Editions PDFs into the mix? Not ones you've created yourself; I mean the PDFs available from ebook retailers like ebooks.com etc.

I'd really like to see the ePUB format win out, but right now it is just too green for me to use.

For starters, I find features like, highlighting, annotation, and dictionary support to be extremely important for reading. ePUB to date does not have any support for these features, MOBI does. The good news is there is works to add support in the future versions, but that is not today.

Second while the format support in ePUB is richer than MOBI, it is only slightly better than MOBI but way inferior to PDF. If typography is the most important feature then one is better off buying PDFs.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 05-03-2010 at 05:37 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote