View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitsimple View Post
I have been reading this forum for a while to try and understand how to set my list of a few thousand books in some sort of first or last name order, but it seems with authors having a first name and a last name, series number,and tag data, calibre places them in no particular order.
This sounds like it is the root of your problem: Calibre isn't designed to manage author names, series numbers and tags all in the authors metadata field. You should split that data up into the respective fields it belongs in. The authors field sorts on an extra column called author_sort, which is probably somewhat messed up because of the rather random content of your authors metadata field as you described below.

Quote:
my first book in "alphabetical" order is e02 alan bennett,then e03 alan bennett,then Mcewan ian then ryan north 5th book is woods stuart ???
i have tried tweaks,"none" "invert" author 0 title 0 series 0 i have clicked on every possible button such as manage authors sort, sort author .
The relevant tweak here is "Author sort name algorithm", what is that currently set to? Your authors field should contain the authors name (and only the authors name) either as "Firstname Lastname" or "Lastname, Firstname"- Pick one, then set the tweak accordingly (you'll probably want to sort on author last name, so if your authors field has "Firstname Lastname", set it to "invert", if your authors field has "Lastname, Firstname", set it to "copy"). If you've set that up and edited the metadata as above, you should be able to get author sorting by last name.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote