View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #408
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Actually, you should be able to configure Open With to pass the PDF or RTF to your batch file or script without reading the metadata.opf file.
The reason I chose the cover is because all selected books have a cover but not all books have an RTF or a PDF - although they all have at least one of those formats and many have both. I read the metadata.opf because it has the data that I want to inject into the PDF and RTF files. What's more it's in the same format - XML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
The down side is Open With only operates on one book at a time, not all selected books.
Darn, I hadn't tried it yet - went to bed in instead.

What would be involved in making it operate on multiple books in a serial fashion? But that takes me back to your original suggestion - and the perils of python...

However I can still use OpenWith to initiate a refresh of the metadata in the RTF and/or PDF of a single book - in error correction mode.

So, for me and my skills set, extracting the paths from the library database as per theducks suggestion looks the best way to go. I've never used SQL in a script, but if it get's too hard then I'll retreat to the familiar territory of C

Maybe once I have a working system I'll summon the courage to grapple with python to extract the paths and write them to a textlog as per JimmXinu's suggestion

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote