Thread: Serial number.
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
@Sir Alex: The KDT tool does not work for me. I have multiple kindles and they each have a different IP address (set in the usbnet/etc/config files). Perhaps KDT *assumes* that all kindles use the default 192.168.2.2 address. Unfortunately, I see nowhere in KDT that lets me change this address to what my kindle is using.

@akleiw: If you can telnet or ssh into the kindle (from any Operating System), you can simply do:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
to get the serial number.

EDIT: I just discovered that this only works on the Kindle 3. Version 2 firmware does not display the serial number in the "cpuinfo". Also, the root password on version 2 firmware appears to require 4 characters of the md5sum instead of 3 characters as needed by version 3 firmware.

You can use that to get the root (recovery) password:
echo fiona$(grep eri /proc/cpuinfo|cut -c12-27|md5sum|cut -c8-10)

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote