View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I love my 350 too. It is small enough to fit into a dress shirt's front pocket, even with the cover attached, and so it is my take along reader. I liked the 950, but after I got the nookcolor I realized that I used it more than the 950. The eInks are terrific in highly lit areas, but not so much in dimly lit areas. Inside where my study and living rooms are it is not well lit, so I always had to use a clip on light, which hated, or make sure I was sitting near a good lamp which is not always convenient. Hence the reason I bought the nookcolor--to easily read in low lit areas without worrying about clip on lights or lamps. At that time the iPad was not an option in my mind. After a couple of months with both my 950 and nookcolor for inside use, and my 350 for outside and portable use, I realized that my 950 rarely got used anymore. So I finally decided to sell it.....

.....I've had the iPad for about a week and a half now. My nookcolor doesn't get used much anymore, much like my nookcolor resulted in my 950 sitting unused. I took my iPad 1 to my monthly Amateur Radio club and was very pleased that it had all the functionality I needed that I had previously used a netbook for--viewing and amending my agenda during the Board of Directors meeting which immediately precedes our membership meeting. Taking notes with an onscreen keypad that is big enough to be very useful to an old, fat fingered guy. (Well at 53 I'm middle-aged but I often feel like I'm old!) The nookcolor keypad is really too small and requires more typo corrections. And I can even connect my iPad to a VGA monitor/projector. The nookcolor will probably never have that ability. Granted only some apps are compatible with VGA mirroring, but there are enough of them that I can use the iPad for presentations!
Thanks again for sharing your additional observations and comparisons between the 350/950, NC and iPad. I too was hoping for a 7" iPad, but unfortunately Mr. Jobs made very clear his opinion of that size! If they had a 7" iPad Wi-fi only with a screen resolution similar to the iPhone 4 (or even the NC screen) at a reasonable price-point, then it would be the ideal product for me. So for now, the NOOKcolor is good for me. I have been using it mostly in the same night-time, low-light conditions that you stated. I mostly use my eink readers during the day and outside. I have to turn on the kitchen & breakfast nook lights to be able to read on my 950 in my family room at night or attach a clip-on light. For my 350, I got the lighted cover. One of the major selling points for the NC for me was how easy you can sideload EPUB files. Thus my Sony ereaders and NC can all share the same library of ebooks with no DRM-stripping or conversions required. I rarely make any purchases from the B&N store except for magazines which is my other main use for the NC.

I still haven't rooted my NC yet. I have been waiting for the major update and roll-out of the B&N app store. I thought it might appear a little quicker than it has...
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote