View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
While I think digitization of otherwise inaccessible books can be a Good Thing™, I have to concur that on a fundamental level the Google agreement appears to violate copyright.

<snip>

And it's unclear whether anyone else who scans a bunch of out-of-print books will get the same deal as Google, assuming anyone has the time or resources to replicate the effort.
Well, that's the point, isn't it? Google has the resources and has made the effort.

Not that I have a clue whether the settlement is 'fair' or not, but on the whole I do think the project is a Good Thing. But the contention is about 'orphan' works, which have little to no monetary value by definition, so I'm more likely to come down on Google's side than not.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote