View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #99
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
Something that struck me just now: Keyboard shortcuts accessibility on international keyboards. On English keyboards (I guess) things like Ctrl+] makes sense, but they can never work with my Norwegian layout. Most of these special characters will initially need a modifier to even be entered, and they don't work as shortcuts at all.

Special characters should be avoided as shortcuts, only alphanumeric characters should be used.

I realise that this might be an awkward issue as a lot of users are used to the defaults, and Sigil can't assign multiple shortcuts to the same action. Also, we poor people in non-ascii-land have lived with these issues since the beginning of computing. Still, it would be nice if Sigil could be an example that it don't need to be this way
The problem is the "rest of the world" who don't have this problem would get penalised for those who do . There simply isn't enough keys on a keyboard.

Generally Alt modifiers are not really an option, certainly not without a modifier and that makes them awkward and unmemorable. Ctrl+Shift is an RSI inducing combination that should only be used for infrequent operations. That leaves only Ctrl + 26 letters and some numbers. Ctrl + a number is already used by the headings. That leaves 26 letters. Of which by the time you take out all the standard things like cut, copy, paste etc there isn't all that many left.

So I'm afraid that suggesting you assign your own personal shortcuts is really the only option, without us moving a number of things onto keys that are either awkward or not memorable for the (majority?) of users that do have US/english keyboards? You are able to do that right?