View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
This is the second RJS book I've read, and found both to be pretty frustrating (the first was 'The Terminal Experiment') - as others have noted, great ideas, poor execution.

At least this one didn't completely abandon its premise in mid-stream like the other book did.

Did the 'explanation' of the Flash Forward make sense to you? Because it didn't to me. So what if neutrinos strike during a LHC experiment? How would that make everyone on Earth hallucinate? Seems to me that a *neurological* explanation would have made more sense. Indeed, our 'hero' (who was more than a bit of a jackass) made an awful lot of illogical leaps, which annoyed me no end.

Can't say that Sawyer has won me over as a reader (although I've had converse with him online and he's a nice enough guy). He has good ideas, but he needs to spend more time on character development.

Did this book really need a chase scene?
I agree 100% the explanation was dreamed up to fit the plot and lot of smoke and mirrors but it still didn't ring true to me -- particularly the part about it only effecting "conscious beings." And the chase scene was just silly I had totally given up on it at that point, but forged ahead.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote