View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Video of the Hanvon 5" touchscreen E-Ink reader

I did a video review of it at CeBIT 2009 that I posted here:

You can watch this video on Youtube in HD quality.

Please spread it around if you find this interesting!

It's a 5" stylus E-Ink touchscreen using Havon's alternative to wacom technology.

I think that this form factor could be pretty much perfect. The non-touchscreen version is said to be sold by Havon at $180, perhaps the touchscreen version with WiFi doesn't have to be much more expensive than that.

I think that they need to remove all the unecessary bezel around the screen, it should I think only have some buttons on the side of the device, not on the front of it. Cause I think that a 5" screen form factor is otherwise potentially perfect to put in the pocket using an appropriate thin synthetic or leather screen protector case.

Then of course, they need WiFi and HSDPA built-in for this to be usable to the level of being a Kindle alternative.

For software upgradabillity, I think that they need to load some type of Google Android on it. Then the community could build software for it to do interesting things with the stylus such as worldwide collaborative reading and annotations sharing and annotations filtering. Commentary around all texts. Posting of handwritten comments eventually with server-based handwriting recognition to blog posts. More advanced features to the stylus functions such as doing stuff to words when doing certain drawings on them, like crossing words out deletes them or makes them eventually change background color or something. Depending on which type of collaboration mode the user would be in.

Using Android I think would make it possible to have Google Reader, Google News, Google Books on this. And more. There should be a Chrome and Firefox plugins to easilly select web pages and articles from ones PC browser that should then be pushed to ones E-Reader device wirelessly for later reading.

Previously on this forum this company has been referred to with the name "Hanwang" somehow. But to me it looks pretty clear the company name now is Hanvon.

Last edited by Charbax; 03-14-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote