View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
Jeremiah.L.Burns
Jeremiah.L.Burns doesn't litterJeremiah.L.Burns doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I've always enjoyed "The Eyes of the Dragon" though.

I finally read "The Stand" last week and really enjoyed it - I had meant to read it a few times over the years and never got around to it.

I just re-read the Gunslinger (newer version) this weekend and I'm onto book 2 this week.

I think you'd enjoy the Stand. I've always had a liking for post-apocalyptic stuff though
I hear that Eyes of the Dragon has a tie of some sort to the DT series, so it may go on the TBR list. The Stand is already on there, as well as 'Salem's Lot.

I finished book VI of DT last night. Book VII now but it's chunky at over 900 pages, so it will be some time before I can give a final take on the series as a whole (only manage a few minutes a night before reading puts me to sleep). Hope you like book II and whilst a few people have (for some reason) recommended skipping Wolves of the Calla, they seem to be in the minority and I really enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.Seeger View Post
I'm with you on the DT. I have never really been a fan of king, other than going to his movies. My loves the series and wanted me to read them so i started with the first book. It took me a couple of times to finish it, but from the last 15% of the first book until the end, I loved it.

Have you been following all the movie/tv drama for it?
The Gunslinger sucked me in from the start and didn't let go of me but I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I have indeed been following the TV/Film adaptation 'drama'. Bit of a shame that funding has fallen through. I was generally happy with the choice of Javier Bardem as Roland.

I've thought for some time, however, that they'd do a better job with the DT series as a complete TV series in the way of HBO's Rome or perhaps The Tudors. Heck, shows like Lost show that the people are willing to stick around a long time. Now that Game of Thrones has proven that epic fantasy can work on the small-screen, I think they'd make a much better go of it than they would trying to force it onto the big screen as well. But that's me.

Also, on the topic of casting, I can't help but picture Eddie Dean as Jeffrey Donovan from Burn Notice. But perhaps he's a bit old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
One of the few series I've thought "God this is bloody hard work, and I think I've lost the track rather..." and still just kept at it until........ I got it again !
It does twist and turn quite a bit, and with Wizard and Glass being a story-within-a-story, you do have to keep your toes slightly. I understand the forthcoming 8th book, Wind through the Keyhole takes this an Inception-like step further with a story-within-a-story-within-a-story. Intrigued.
Jeremiah.L.Burns is offline   Reply With Quote