View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #60
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I prefer to look at it as being an o/s that supports two environment - desktop/laptop devices, and tablets. If you're using Windows 8 on a desktop or a laptop, you really have no reason to be running Metro Apps; you'll get greater productivity from a conventional desktop app. On the other hand, if you have a tablet, you can run Metro Apps which will optimise the touchscreen experience.

I see it as flexibility, not a "useability nightmare" at all. And as I say, I'm actually using the product.
How can you justify having a single app on a 27" monitor? MSFT is pushing towards Windows apps, and there are articles out there saying that the desktop mode is in its way out and is there only for "legacy" apps, meaning that, according to MSFT, the future is for Windows 8 style apps.

And the lack of start button? That drove me nuts, at least I can have it back with Classic Shell. The only reason I have W8 on my work laptop is because it's been forced down my throat by the company, otherwise I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote