View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
spellchecker problem

A point about the consequence of the use of these curly apos, I should have mentioned. It causes a spellchecker problem for French Sigil users.

When I spellcheck a French book which makes use of curly apos., using Sigil, hunspell stops at every occurrence of a curly apostrophe. This means that I cannot use it because it stops uselessly much too often. A list of mispelled words like the one which is meant to appear in Sigil 0.7 will hopefully be more useful. Even then, there will be lots of useless expressions like: l'art, c'est, d'un etc. which are in French much more numerous than in English.

There could be a surgical solution: revert to straight apos, perform the spellchecking and come back to curly apos. But it seems a little far-fetched... I did not try it and does not know if it would work.

I think I found a solution with hunspell le glouton for odt files. hunspell just ignores the apostrophe and analyzes the words on both parts of it and produces a list of unknown and/or mispelled words. But, for the time being, it's a Linux only solution. Hopefully it could be adapted.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=213

As you can see, I do most of my spellchecking on the odt file. I am surprised this problem has not been reported yet.

Last edited by roger64; 02-05-2013 at 05:32 AM. Reason: and/or
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote