View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
I grant every native english speakers his puns (I stumbled over Paola's lapse even as non-native). But I would like to deploy the opportunity to appeal at the "aborigines" to take a little care of their language in order to let strangers participate duly at the discussion, mainly in respect of the use of words that are but little known outside USA, Canada, Ausralia, UK ...

As today in the introducing article of MR: "sock puppets"? "grassroots"? "astroturfing"? The examples are manyfold.

No offence meant!
No offence taken. Even for "native" English speakers, there are quite a few words that are common in one country but unused in others. There is a quote about "England and America are two countries divided by a common language". Often attributed to George Bernard Shaw but a good deal of discussion about whom actually said this and even the exact wording of the quote.

At least, the astroturfing reference had a link to wikipedia which also linked to grassroots though it's a pain going through all the links to try to comprehend what could have been written in a more easily understood fashion.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote