View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@BR: Filtering is used to denote filtering the current book list alone, not the entire library, which a restriction does. Restrictions are not filters. And one of the motivations for this change is to make this feature both easier to discover and describe. Virtual library meets both those goals.
Virtual means 'simulated' as in Virtual Memory where backing storage is used to simulate that a computer has more memory than is physically installed, or as in Virtual Reality which is a computer simulation of places, events and people in the real world.

Virtual does not mean Select, Filter, Restrict, Constrain... Virtual means

The term Virtual Library is most often used to mean the exact opposite of Select, Restrict etc... They are facilities that present a single view of multiple institutions, such as http://vlib.org/, there are similar VL's that span Law School Libraries, I think there's one that spans US Presidential Libraries.

IMO if a Button is clicked to perform an action its 'label' ought to reflect the action, that is it should have a verb in it. Virtual is an adjective, and Library is noun

Given how the term Virtual Library is already used, one could not be blamed for thinking that a button labelled (described) with the term Virtual Library in Calibre would present a single view of all one's libraries.

I rest my case, your honour

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote