View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 03:29 AM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
How to format ebooks?

What do you think about ebooks formatted by the publishers?

I recently bought The Grace of Kings from Google, supposed to be the biggest fantasy debut of the year, but line spacing and typeface were set by the publisher. I couldn't change them.

Of course, I know enought about CSS and thus freed typeface and line spacing of body portion while leaving other parts as is; the book had very good design apart from this problem. Embedded Hoefler Text instead of the faded Palatino the book has. Photos:

http://drop.muratcansimsek.com/IMG_20150429_095521.jpg
http://drop.muratcansimsek.com/IMG_20150429_095532.jpg

I think best kind of ebooks are like the ebook I have on my hands now. Books should be styled beautifully, The Grace of Kings has good design for other parts like title pages, part pages and such too. Poems within the text should have different margins and all that but the paragraph text should be left alone.

What do you think? I hate it when I can't change paragraph's line spacing and typeface but other styling is pretty cool when done well.

Also, The Grace of Kings were almost unreadable without fixes, the font was so faded, the line spacing was so big you could almost fit another line between. I wonder what the publisher actually thought when they published a book this terrible. I know how to fix it, most don't.

PS. I just notices the title, an ebooks. I feel terrible =(
PSS. Thanks for the title =)

Last edited by GERGE; 04-29-2015 at 06:26 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote