View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #67
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
2. The copyright laws need to become criminal laws--but minor ones. Downloading a book/song/movie is a minor misdemeanor. No silly, absurdly high law suit settlement. Get a penalty like value of item +25%. So a $1 mp3, you'd pay a fine of $1.25. A $10 book, you'd get a fine of $12.50.

Just something to make it worth people's while to just buy the content rather than risk stealing.

Have harsher penalties for the pirates that are distributing illegal materials, as the supply on the darknets needs to be cut down on, along with lowering the demand as above.

And there would have to be some law enforcement agencies to detect illegal distribution and downloading, and enforce it. In the US I'd just create a federal agency to deal with it. Other countries can set their own laws and how to enforce them (or do nothing) publishers, music labels, movie studios etc. can then look at those laws and decide if they want to do business in the digital arena based on those factors and others.
Will this include things like probable cause, the whole deal with 4'th 5'th 6'th and 8'th amendment rights at least for people in the US of course?

I've never had a problem with paying fair value for what I get, I do have a problem with monopoly pricing, in the past congress has set licensing rates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_license would that be acceptable for you? We're keeping in mind there's no right to profit or a right to maintain a certain level of profit only the right to try to make a buck. Would a set royalty rate per book (as opposed to a percentage and perhaps indexed to inflation) be acceptable to you as you claim to want to help artists and let the rest of us rage against the abuses of big buisness without you calling us thieves for objecting to not having the savings in the cost of ebooks passed on to us?
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote