View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Looking for a particular type of scifi/fantasy - can you help?

Hey there, gang! I haven't posted around here in what feels like ages, but yes I'm still around and yes I'm still enjoying the bejeebers outta my Sony 505. I've read several books recently that, while fun, weren't engaging enough for me. That got me thinking about what to read next and so I've spent some time going through some of the big recommendation threads here. Tons of great ideas, but it's almost overwhelming and leaves me unsure where to explore.

So... to the point: I need some more specific recommendations.

I think really what I need is some deeply engaging material, something that I can get involved with and grabs me emotionally. I realize that's terribly subjective though. I'm open to SciFi or Fantasy and would prefer to avoid the typical, cliche or over worked (Eddings, Brooks and Jordan are fun fantasy, but... well it's all been discussed enough times already. )

Some examples of what I've really enjoyed in recent times:
The Farseer books by Robin Hobb (first & third trilogies set in that world) really worked for me. Very emotional stuff and as people have said many times she writes some wonderful characters.

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge - I really enjoyed this one as it was great science fiction along with really enjoyable characters.

By that same token, I had a great time with the Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap books. Granted that last one went a little sideways on me, but I still enjoyed them as a series.

For an idea of what was fun, but *not* the feel I'm looking for right now:
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - fun, but mostly fluff.
Temeraire books by Naomi Novik - fun, interesting... really enjoy the character of Temeraire, but it's all a bit stilted for me right now.
A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge - while I loved the book that came before this I just couldn't get into this one. It's *interesting*, but not very *engaging* for me, for lack of a better description.

And lastly I'm just about done with the first book of Zelazny's Amber series. I'm sure I'll be burned at the stake for this, but so far it's not really doing it for me. Yes it's interesting and I really like the concepts presented, but it's never grabbed me and compelled me to finish it.

There are plenty of others I've read, like most of you here, but I know there are *far* more that I haven't read. I'm hoping someone can really spark my interest with a special recommendation for me!

Help me, MobileRead, you're my only hope...
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote