View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 06:24 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm curious. Is Metadata management set to Automatic by default? If not, what is? I guess my point would be that any option but manual should be default. Manual is an oddity that doesn't give users the best benefit.
Something similar to Automatic was the default in the early 07. releases, and indeed a lot of people were most upset. These people either maintained collections with Sony SW or manually on calibre's device view, something I didn't know that people actually did. They felt (quite reasonably, really) that what worked before should continue to work, and even more importantly that calibre should not undo their labors. Any setting other than manual will cause loss of user-defined collections (collections that were not series and were not tags). The feedback (and common sense) indicated that losing data without warning was a bad thing.

@starrigger: it sounds like the database on your reader got corrupted somehow. If this happens, the Sony will rebuild it from metadata stored in the books, in the process erasing all collections, bookmarks, and annotations. Why this happens is a mystery. Itimpi's hypothesis is as good as any I have seen, but it also seems to happen in other situations.

I haven't seen a case where calibre corrupts the DB, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. For example, if the device is unplugged (or power is lost or ...) while calibre is writing the DB, then it will almost certainly not survive the experience. I recommend that you backup the Sony DB from time to time. For main memory, the DB is in "database/cache/media.xml". For SD cards, it is in "Sony Reader/database/cache.xml".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote