View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Adobe Digital Editions is driving me crazy!

I used my mom's PC to 'authorize' my Sony Reader on ADE and then downloaded the Mac version, hoping I could read library books. This program has been wreaking havoc on my machine ever since, and I don't know what the problem is.

I have Stanza installed as well. It is my preferred program for giving things a quick once-over before moving to the reader, and for doing some basic conversions. So if I ever have an epub file I want to take a look at, I double-click on it to launch it. The first time I did this, it tried to launch ADE. I quit ADE, right-clicked and went into the 'set default application to open this file type' dialog, and selected Stanza.

For awhile, everything was fine. Then all of a sudden, one day, it tried opening ADE again. It wanted me to upgrade to a new version and said if I did not, it would not allow me to use the version I had already downloaded. I was a bit annoyed; most programs recommend you upgrade, but I have never had a program force it like this! And also, I said use Stanza for epub. I quit the program, went back into the setting the default application thing again, and for awhile everything was fine,

Downloaded an epub again today, and all of a sudden, it is launching ADE again. Grrrrrrr. I am tempted to just delete the whole thing and forget about reading library books on my Sony. I have never seen a program behave so rudely and keep launching when you tell it not to the reader for that file type, and to force you to download an upgrade when you don't want to.

Should I uninstall? Or is there a way to tell ADE in a more forceful manner to leave me alone unless I call it up myself on purpose?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote