Thread: GPL violation?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #121
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What did Netronix tell Bookeen? All I've heard (and it might even have been from you!) is that Bookeen have said that they are unable to get the source from the hardware manufacturer - Netronix.

On a practical level, what do you expect Bookeen to do about it? Stopping selling the Gen3 and go bust?
I would suspect that Bookeen has an agreement with its supplier - which from all I've seen of the EB-100 makes me strongly suspect it's Netronix - an agreement whereby Bookeen gets the hardware and develops its own apps.

If it is Netronix which is supplying the hardware and OS, then there's a good chance that Bookeen had to buy a "developer's package" in order to get access to the SDK software. These "developer's packages" tend to run to several thousand dollars and may well include proprietary software covered by NDAs.

However, once a person/company buys the package, one gets all the detailed information on what GPL'd software has been used as well. As I don't have that kind of money, I've not bought a "developer's package". Anyone want to set up a collection so I can buy one? Hint. Hint. I can get the exact price required.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote