Thread: DR800 mounting to Ubuntu
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse_horrible View Post
This may be ridiculous...I think I just don't know the terminology to find my answers...

I just got a netbook running Ubuntu 10.04 last week to take to school (with my DR800), but then realized in class that I possibly don't have something set up (something installed to be able to read the device?) for the DR800 to mount. Does this make any sense?

The unit has no problem mounting on WinXP, Win7, or whichever MacOS my friend's laptop has.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Try connecting your reader to the netbook via USB cable (assuming they both have USB ports) and look for a new drive-shaped icon on your desktop. It's easy to miss it, if your desktop is crowded with other icons!

I use Ubuntu 10.04 with a Sony PRS-650 reader. Ubuntu recognises the reader automatically, whenever it is connected to my PC via USB cable. Shortly after the cable is connected, a drive-shaped icon pops up on the desktop - it disappears when the drive is disconnected. So, there is no need to mount the reader as a drive, because Ubuntu does it automatically.

Something you should check in Ubuntu, if you are able to connect your netbook to the reader via USB:
System (option at the top left-hand corner of your screen) -> Administration -> Disk Utility
Look in the left-hand column of Disk Utility, to see if your reader is listed as a peripheral device labelled something like DR800. If it is, then select it by clicking on it. In the right-hand column, in the lower section entitled Volumes, make sure that the volume's status is "mounted". If there is an option labelled Unmount volume, then that means the volume is already mounted. In my case, the default status is automatically set to "mounted". The status can be toggled by alternatively clicking on Unmount volume and Mount volume.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-13-2011 at 05:54 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote