Thread: Aura HD Setting up new Kobo
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by navderek View Post
Whatever David. I have 20+ devices at home and your telling me because I should go around to each and every one and reconfigure them so the Kobo can work? Sorry I'd rather keep the jacket on...lol
THe point is that static IP config on a device is not a special feature. All the SW devs need to do is show the fields in the GUI and allow write access. DHCP is basically doing the same thing, just automatically with negotiation. Why could they not just allow the user to configure it manually...seems very strange.
Gosh. I have about the same number. I use DHCP. Bring a new device home, connect it to the wireless or wired network, it gets an address and works. Need a fixed address for some reason? That's why DHCP reservations were invented.

I started working in IT before IP networks were common. When we started using IP networking, static addresses were the order of the day. I remember maintaining spreadsheets with address usage and the joy of having multiple devices configured with the same IP address.

And you want us to go back to those dark ages? Move a device to a new network? Reconfigure it manually with all the chances for error that entails.

About 3 years back we changed our MAN addressing scheme when we moved from a mix of subnets using CIDR to allow supersetting Class C blocks to a single subnet.

For that changeover, the previous week we changed the DHCP lease time to 1 hour. On Sunday, changeover the critical servers with static IPs -- many of our servers live in the DMZ which did not need to be changed or picked up addresses from DHCP reservation, changed the firewall/router internal address, change the reservations, release/renew on the remaining servers and we were good to go -- total about 45 minutes for the three of us who got to come in on Saturday -- the time includes a few minutes enjoying a few drinks and snacks while booting some user computers to make sure all was happy. On Monday, user computers booted up and got their new addresses, subnet mask, gateway, SMTP server, etc.

Care to guess how long it would have taken to do this for over 2 thousand computers, printers, access points, etc. manually?

For me, not using DHCP ranks with chipping flint to make tools.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote