View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
llamedos
llamedos began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi guys thank you for your comments, I expected a little more support and encouragement but I can live with what you are saying.
You seem to have missed the gist of what I said, except are extolling your expertise, without any offer of description or explanation!
I don't need a dictionary for myself. I am happy with my own spelling skills.
I am plumping up the on board dictionary for use by the OCR. ( or rather the word processor. In this case, Open Office.)
Suppose you are editing a series of books, as you progress later books, the editing becomes faster by being more correct.( fasterer and correcter?)
Many plots of my books are set in foreign climes and have quite a large number of words of other languages or vernacular.(vernaculae?)
I stick 'em in the dictionary.
The book I am working at present, contains many names in Turkish, Kurd, Lebanese, also their spoken words are presented as immigrant English. In the vernacular! One of a series of four!!
By sticking everything into the dictionary, the third and fourth books become much easier.
Previous books have plots using French, Spanish, Hungarian and many more languages.

I am advised to buy ABBYY Fine Reader 9 ( I think it is at iteration 10 now.)
I don't think that will happen. Do you know that would cost me twice what I paid for the complete device and soft ware?
I am not doing this for a living! I am doing this for 'fun!' It is a retirement project!
Should I buy a 'good' camera, also ABBYYFine Reader and build quadpod arrangement to do the job? For three times the cost? Nah!

By the way, is it acceptable, or advisable to trash the good name of a product, without offering evidence of fault? (It is called Blackguarding) Especially in these litigious times. I am sure this forum executive will be looking askance at such a claim and will be scurrying to disclaim such words.

What else? Oh yes. Use JPEG instead of BMP or TIFF.
I thought that an enthusiast might read Bob Russel's document first, but that was not to be.
I was advised by that document and chose the default BMP.
Why should I care whether the page image is lossless or not. It is temporary and after conversion and OCR processing it is lost and you receive a page in RTF.

I should advise that Fine Reader Proper is not supplied. it is a stripped down 'Express' version which is quite adequate for the job. It contains no word processor or dictionary. You can't even fire it up to OCR a page of text. It will not recognise it!
It only recognises a photographic page image such as BMP, etc.(TIFF is supposed to be best.)
I got it going and it worked!. I am happy

I have learned not to blame the scanner for all the faults in the reading!
I also scan in 300DPI for covers and get good results but I don't include covers in the ePub.
If the printed book contains misspellings I usually can correct them without using a dictionary and load my onboard dictionary with that corrected word.
I don't know what are bee-hatches are and in any future I will never use text-to-speech software.
llamedos is offline   Reply With Quote