View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #428
HugeFanOfE-Ink
HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.HugeFanOfE-Ink solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle DX
First -- thank you very much for the quick response.

The following in response to twobob's PM -- some metrics:

I'm connected via usb, RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget.

I first ssh'ed into the kindle; then ran vnc.

I ran htop (I had actually assumed that there'd be no sort of 'top' on the machine!); some results:

CPU usage:
While scrolling a pdf at normal reading speed, CPU usage is around 40-50%. Scrolling faster, it climbs to 80%.
A moderate typing speed with nothing else moving on the screen uses about 60-70%.
kindlevncviewer accounts for the cpu usage almost exclusively.

MEM usage:
64 out of 124MB appears full; this hasn't changed at all in about an hour. Before that (when I first ran htop, after a session of maybe 8 hours) it was around 90MB, I think.
kindlevncviewer uses 4.3% of the memory.
The rest appears to be claimed almost exclusively by a certain cluster of processes starting with 'CVM', launched like this:

/usr/java/bin/cvm -Xmx16m -Xgc:youngGen=1m -Dsun.awt.exception.handler=com.amazon.ebook.framew ork.impl.device.event.EventDispatchThreadException Handler -Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/java/lib/localedata.jar:/usr/java/lib/charsets.jar -Dsun.boot.library.path=/usr/java/lib -cp :/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/JFEP-0.1.0.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/journal-update.jar:/opt/amazon/...........and a whole bunch of other java thingies.

Also -- 'fsp' runs with the following options:

fsp /mnt/base-us /mnt/us -o rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,max_write=65536,max_readah ead=65536

Also -- launchpad is running, though it's not using any resources.

Perhaps relevant -- I'm on OS X 10.8.4; the screen is set to greyscale; the display is the 1680x1050 version; vnc shows the upper left hand corner (I arrange the windows accordingly.)

It's embarrassing that I have to ask this, but I'm not sure how to extract information from the xterm window, aside from this somewhat qualitative description.
HugeFanOfE-Ink is offline   Reply With Quote