View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Before I bought the 300 I was afraid as a fast reader the limited text per page (less then half that of a small pocketbook) would hinder my reading, but the strange thing is, I seem to read even faster an with less fatigue from my PRS300 then from paper, perhaps less 'where was I?' searchtime?
Your eyes also don't have to 'scan' as much left-to-right as you read, which can help to absorb lines of text with less fatigue (maybe?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmax View Post
Uhm... I think there is something wrong with evaluating the prs300 and prs505 on "quantity of text" inside the screen, as both screens have exactly the same resolution thus exactly the same text rendering capabilities.

You should not "see" more or less text, given same font size, because switching between prs300 and 505 ...

If anything, prs300 should be sharper because pixels are more "compressed" which I find desirable on 5" screens...

CORRECTION: I see on another post, that given same book, zoom, page, the prs300 show 17 text lines, while the prs505 shows 25 textlines.

It seems then that the font used in the prs300 is slightly larger than the prs505.

I cannot wait for my prs300 to arrive. I should change its fonts (if there is a font hack available -I will have to search).

The fact that both screens share the same resolution, would allow me to have the exact same experience as I had in my prs505, with the prs300 provided I can upload the very same font! ... I will only read in a smaller screen.

Regards,
Sigmax.
The font sizes on the 300 and 505 for a given file are pretty darn close to being the same. The 300 does display right around 5/6 the amount of text per line, and 5/6 the number of lines per screen as compared with the 505. So, the 300 shows about 2/3 of the text on one screen of the 505.

The only exception I can think of is for non-reflowed pdf files (S font size), where the entire pdf page will be displayed on either screen. I find the margins are usually too big, and the text too small, on most pdf's without reflow, so I have to bump it up to M size for reading.

If you want more/smaller text on the 300's screen, you can use Calibre to convert formats and reduce the default font size. Although I believe Calibre still doesn't accept lrf format as input files.

Note the above comments though: ease and speed of reading do not seem to be reduced by the smaller screen with a bit less text. I would generally agree with this observation based on my own experience. I can report that there is no impairment of the reading 'experience' when switching from the 505 to the 300.

Last edited by DrMoze; 10-14-2009 at 10:17 AM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote