View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
STAReBOOK vs. Iliad speed video!

Well, I have something here that might be interesting to many users of this forum.
Since several people asked me about the booting speed and pageturn speed of the STAReBOOK I thought I'd take a little video of the device in action. To spice things up a bit I added the Iliad as a comparison.

The things I did:

I put both devices on the couch, switched completely off (no standby).

I then switched the camera on, picked up the Iliad and turned it on, then turned the STAReBOOK on (I could do that without picking it up since the powerbutton is on the top).
Then I selected the "Last read book" on both devices (it's actually the same book in both cases, file-sizes are also about the same, around 900K and both books are at roughly the same page (hard to be sure since the screensize-difference makes the pages different as well).

I then flipped forward 3 Pages (please note that I did not press the page-forward button on the STAReBOOK properly the first time and had to repeat (you can see the device lighting up the green LED but not flipping pages), I did not want to do the whole recording again just because of that) and then flipped back three pages and shut both devices down again (Iliad first again).

Three things to note:
1) The quality is bad, but I don't have any better equipment and I guess you can see all that is neccessary.

2) I could actually finish the whole procedure on the STAReBOOK before the Iliad was even done booting despite the fact that I missed the "Page-forward" button at the first try and the Iliad was switched on several seconds before the STAReBOOK. Of course the Iliad has a lot more to load, but it is also a lot more powerful where the Hardware is concerned.

3) The books were both loaded from SD card. Both cards were 1GB, the one in the Iliad was a Sandsik Extreme II, the one in the STAReBOOK was a simple Kingston with no speedrating provided (it was 7.90€, so I guess it's not spectacular)

The File is in .avi format, I compressed it down from 29MB to 1.xMB using the XVID codec.
Attached Files
File Type: rar STAR_vs_Iliad.rar (1.07 MB, 2891 views)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote