View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I don't have the great solution but what I do is tell the non-tech newbies to think of the ebook devices as just another paperback book except sturdier and with the ability to carry dozens of books simultaneously. My limited experience has been that once they can visulaize/think of the device as just another paperback book, they quickly get over their uneasiness.

One other thing that I have noted is that when I show them that to use my Sony all they have to do is turn it on, pick a book, a read, they are delighted. They tend to lose their fear because it is an easy experience.

They sometimes stumble a bit over how to pick a book, but even that is overcome quickly. The real tricky part, whcih is getting a book on to the Sony, we never seem to get to, but there it would be easy to say let spouse/child do it for you. I suspect that the Kindle would be more daunting, regardless of ease of use, because the keyboard is more reminiscient of a computer.

Absolutely not. If you can type, its not a problem at all, and when you realize all you are using the keyboard for is searching, life is good. (I don't use the basic web except for books and keeping an eye on whats going on here......)
I had never held on in my life, of any brand, until I got the Kindle. Found it very intuitive to use, and simple reading of the directions made it even easier. being able to download books from Amazon.com, immediately, getting my favorite magazines downloaded monthly, using the built in dictionary, all just added to the experience.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote