View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Obviously, these are total non-techie newbies. Any ideas on how to explain/where to start without freaking them out?
I don't have the great solution but what I do is tell the non-tech newbies to think of the ebook devices as just another paperback book except sturdier and with the ability to carry dozens of books simultaneously. My limited experience has been that once they can visulaize/think of the device as just another paperback book, they quickly get over their uneasiness.

One other thing that I have noted is that when I show them that to use my Sony all they have to do is turn it on, pick a book, a read, they are delighted. They tend to lose their fear because it is an easy experience.

They sometimes stumble a bit over how to pick a book, but even that is overcome quickly. The real tricky part, whcih is getting a book on to the Sony, we never seem to get to, but there it would be easy to say let spouse/child do it for you. I suspect that the Kindle would be more daunting, regardless of ease of use, because the keyboard is more reminiscient of a computer.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote