View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The reasons for using several levels is structure of the document. Using H1 for title doesn't actually buy any structure, although I have been know to use it that way myself. But if you do then the TOC will show only one entry and then you will have to expand it to get to the chapters. You haven't bought any structure. You might as well have only a single level. However, the collapsing of sections and expanding of sections can be quite useful in a TOC so multiple levels structurally make a lot of sense. It is unfortunate that ADE assumes that the higher level is always just a structural container without any text but that is what they assume. I have certainly seen documents that use that same assumption but some do not. One thing might be:

<h1>Chapter 1</h1>
<h2>Introduction to chapter 1</h2>
<h2>section 1</h2>
<h3>introduction to chapter 1 section 1</h3>
<h3>subsection</h3>
etc. etc.

It does not make much sense to have more that 3 levels in any event.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote