View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #102
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'd like to know what is wrong with the software. Maybe you have a defective device. My Glo runs just fine. I am delighted with it, runs perfectly and no need to root or hack. I've had the T1, rooted and unrooted. It was ok, but I had plenty of issues with it freezing up. Needing reset. Fonts not rendering right. I've got a Paperwhite, rooted and added to, which is great due to that. But really, I'd prefer to have a device that I DIDN'T have to root to make it work the way I want it to, and KOBO is the only one of the three brands I've tried that fits the criteria.
I have a hard time believing that because I've had three of them, since I initially thought that the device was bad. But no.

I have the same amount of books and shelves on it as I've had on all of my Sony's. And it is a lot, there are about 2100 books on the device, with about 250 shelves. Atypical, maybe, but I travel a lot, and read a lot. None of the Sony readers I've had before had a problem with it. Once the initial scan finished, browsing collections was fast and relatively painless (although I do miss the old alphabetical quick-jump that the PRS650 had).

As I said earlier, it takes two minutes, by the watch to open the list, each and every time. Paging through the list with those tiny buttons at the bottom isn't very good either, because it'll often misinterpret the target area and jump all the way to one side or the other of the list. Makes me miss having a backup page turn button.

Decided you want to look at another shelf? Well re-loading the list takes two minutes again!
Did you open a book in a shelf? Well you can't get back to that shelf listing anymore! Back to home, and spend another two min loading the shelves list. And then paging through it. Lots of fun if you like reading books in a series.

When in a book, at least once per book the font size will reset to the smallest possible, and I have to resize it up and down to fix. I've also had to re-convert a bunch of my books because certain smart punctuation characters will cause the kobo to just skip everything between it and the chapter break. This doesn't always happen, but often enough to be a noticeable problem.

After I turn the device off, I have to keep the cover open for about a minute, if I close it earlier, it stays off, but the IR touch sensor keeps firing, and the battery will be dead by the time I return to it. Took a bit to figure that one out, I kept having the reader die every other day for a while before I did some research on that.

All in all, these things add up quickly. I often gift my old readers to friends or family, but this one is going to get gutted once I switch from it - I dont dislike anyone enough to inflict it on them.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote