View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
As it is, I've read the amount of shelf-space (nationally) is shrinking. So shelf-space, to B&N, must be a scarcer commodity that they can charge more for.
Indigo took that approach in Canada but that is a slightly different market; they're in a much stronger position because of the local content laws.

That shelf space in the US has shrunk is undeniable; the Borders implosion wiped out at least 25% of the shelf space and, when you factor in B&N closures and their own repurposing, a 30-35% loss of shelf-space isn't out of the question. But...
...the need for shelf space has *also* gone down because of users migrating to online pbook sales and ebooks. And one of the (many) reasons Borders without the BPHs even blinking was an actual glut of shelf-space.

So the real question is *what* has gone down more: shelf-space or B&M pbook demand?

That is what makes this fight interesting: B&N thinks they're indispensable, S&S begs to differ. With the fight now approaching three months, the two seem pretty entrenched.

I suspect we'll see some kind of resolution once the first quarter sales reports get in. I doubt either side will completely cave in but it's not totally out of the question.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote