View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #96
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Hey guys,

instead of manually hacking the device, isn't there an exploit, or automatic re-programmign file available?

I mean it'd be nice to be able to upload a file, and just run it (like a game), and it would automatically update the settings to get the OFF settings.

Anyone tried measuring the device's battery life with screen light off?
Yes there is. Check out KindleTool: Create/Unpack Kindle update files for a tool that will let you do that. Of course for the light-off feature there is no premade update-...-install.bin yet. I stated my reasons in post #62 as to why I layed that on ice for now (updated). Even before the update I did mention that anybody is free to package that. I am sorry if that is not what you wanted no hear. Why don't you learn a new skill in packaging and do it? Eventually I will venture into packaging myself, but I am not there yet. I am debating if it is worth to fire up my Debian machine at home (it is gathering dust right now) - instead of attempting to make it work on cygwin. Once I start writing anything complex enough as to require a repository, then I will definately turn my Debian on. A short 9-line shell script is not worth having revision control, though.

As for battery life, I don't think it increases noticeably from off compared to lowest light. There is valid concern earlier in this thread, that running it in cron might decrease battery life. But then the saving from having the light off might be enough to make up for it.

If you decide to give packaging a try, I suggest you do not try it by changing cron jobs (like in posts #1 or #6), especially do not alter/replace cron files by hand in an automatic update file. Mistakes on that level (cron) can have catastrophic consequences. What I made is a lot less invasive.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote