View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The catalog epub is quite large for a book, over 5mb, so really don't want to upload it. But the odd character is coming only from a handful of books within the catalog from their comment section. The majority of comments were downloaded with metadata. In some cases if it was missing or not much of a description, I'd copy and paste it into the comment section.

For a few books that have it in the comment section once generated into an epub, I've deleted all comments, tried pasting it back in, tried typing it back in in case some odd character carried over even from notepad, and most of the � are still there. I did manage to get rid of a few of them, but I really have no idea how, there's nothing consistent about it.

Such as this is what shows for "Wuthering Heights" in the catalog when viewed through the Calibre viewer:

Spoiler:
Wuthering Heights is a gothic novel, and the only novel by Emily Brontė. It was first published in 1847 under the pseudonym Ellis Bell, and a posthumous second edition was edited by her sister Charlotte.�

The name of the novel comes from the Yorkshire manor on the moors on which the story centres (as an adjective; wuthering is a Yorkshire word referring to turbulent weather). The narrative tells the tale of the all-encompassing and passionate, yet thwarted, love between Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and many around them.�

Now considered a classic of English literature, Wuthering Heights met with mixed reviews by critics when it first appeared, mainly because of the narrative's stark depiction of mental and physical cruelty. Though Charlotte Brontė's Jane Eyre was initially considered the best of the Brontė sisters' works, many subsequent critics of Wuthering Heights argued that its originality and achievement made it superior. Wuthering Heights has also given rise to many adaptations and inspired works, including films, radio, television dramatisations, a musical by Bernard J. Taylor, ballet, opera, and song.

Viewing it on my PRS-350 however, there's only one odd normal ? at the end of the 3rd paragraph, nowhere else. It's not in the same position as the odd � symbols are.

I should add that the odd symbol does not appear within the Calibre interface in the comment section for any book.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote