View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #172
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
So the managers at Adobe are incompetent and the programmers are the cat's whiskers?
That's more likely to be the case than the other way around, based on my experience programming in the industry (including handhelds), personal knowledge of Adobe hires, and the experience of the guy next to me (who's done handhelds and device drivers in his time).

Professional programmers don't *like* to write stuff that doesn't work well (otherwise they wouldn't be employed for long), but they *must* write stuff that works according to specification (in order to remain employed). So unfortunately, in the real world, if a VP insists of a stupid set of requirements, there's nothing most programmers can do except to either (1) execute on them, or (2) leave/transfer. To their credit the managers I've worked with over the years have known when a feature should be cut because it's a bug farm, perf killer, or usability nightmare. Unfortunately, I've seen the exceptions down the hall.

I'm not going to get into a piss-fight with you, but it really annoys me when the conclusion about anything people don't like is that, obviously, the programmers must be incompetent. It annoys me more when people with even a modicum of programming knowledge assert that, as if they were involved on the project and have any idea of the people at the keyboard. It's very unprofessional.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote