View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
That really sucks losing that much of your story. I hate writing anything longhand anymore. I type short notes to people and only use email. When I write, I type as I go. I'm pretty anal about making backups too. I have an external drive and an off site storage that are both backed up automatically.
You have the right idea about backing up.

One quick way to backup is to have a gmail account that you can send writeups to. I actually send attachments I call storage, like: "storage 12 02 13 story73update" to a secondary gmail account.
That will have the latest chapters in "story 73."

What I really want is an OCR that will render longhand on a piece of paper (I usually use cards, say 6" x4" or even larger for ease in handling while in a car or plane, restaurant, a boat, or even a canoe) into digital text. The cards are more expensive, but easy to handle, carry in a pocket, and less likely to be damaged. The other important trick is to use a waterproof ink.
There are OCR products that might handle hand printed letters where each letter is a distinct image, but when you get to linked letters (i.e. cursive) there are problems.

Still it is about time to check into the technology again, and see what improvements have been made.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote