View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
I thought I would share a bit of hard learned advice: if you write longhand in a notebook or on loose sheets or whatever, make sure you type them up as you go along

Every once and awhile I find myself unable to wrap up a story, and writing it out longhand actually makes it easier for me. I think it might be because there's no real room for me to stop and edit things as I'm going so I just kind of let my thoughts flow straight onto the paper. It really helps me get passed scenes that otherwise might catch me up.

Unfortunately, my Dad made me ride somewhere with him and I forgot my folder in his car. So he, being the guy he is, when he found the folder a couple of days later, didn't say anything to me. He just brought it into his house and had it sitting around for several days. Then somehow it ended up in his firebox, and from there it ended up helping start a fire. He never even opened it to see what it was.

Like 20 pages of story just POOF! gone forever.

The worst thing? That this has been like the second time I've had this happen to me.

The first time I was rushing off to work and I had a fever and was completely out of my head and I put my clipboard on top of the car while I put things in the backseat. Then I hopped in and told my mom to drive and that was that... The clipboard was lost and gone forever.

I need a keeper or something.
The "firebox" accident seems to me like someone was "teaching" a lesson to someone else. I don't buy it.

I have the opposite problem. My handwritten notes, on cards, on sheets of typing paper on clipboards or in spiral or cloth bound note books never disappear. They just keep piling up. Then I collect them in plastic bins (about shoe box size) and eventually try to go through them. It becomes a gigantic task. (Maybe I need a "firebox.")

The other thing I have done when driving is to record thoughts or even sections of stories. I then have to type them up. I stopped doing that except when I have to put something down and don't have a piece of paper, and now days usually use the recording function on the phone.

What I really need is some kind of OCR program that would let me run all the handwritten cards and papers through the scanner, and convert them to typed text in a file. Likewise a program that would take the sound recordings and convert them also.

Anyway, I don't trust your dad. I believe that there is something going on there. A message is being broadcast that is not received.
i.e. " a failure to communicate."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote