View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
PDF is not an eBook format

When will publishers learn that PDF is not an eBook format.

Even Adobe describes PDF as:

The PDF format as a global exchange document format is created by Adobe and is the most efficient way to exchange information.

This is a "document" format. A way to describe what will be printed on paper... the layout is sized for printing to certain sized paper, usually 8.5x11. Adobe also provided an easy way for people to view these documents with out printing them be providing the Reader. The reader works well on a computer monitor which is where it was designed to work.

In the years gone buy, before portable devices that allowed for reading "eBooks" documents stored in the PDF format have been refered to as eBooks. I know that Manning and several other publishers provide an "eBook" version of their content.

A big POD service Lulu is also guilty of this... all thier books can be ordered as paper or "eBook". The eBook of course is a .PDF file.

I have to admit, the publisher I used for a book I wrote also used this practice. Although he started out with making them .CHMs which at the time we didn't know was a much better ebook format.

Ok, well enough said. I am just tired of reading that a certain book is available as an "eBook" and having it be a PDF.

Perhaps PDF can be an eBook format in the future. But, PDF viewers, espesially on eBook reader devices would need to be able to reflow the text, hypehnate, allow for font size changes. All this goes againts the original design and reason for a PDF which was a container for an EXACT representation of a printed page which could be viewed if needed.

I hope we can stop the insanity.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote