View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I'm sorry for being so obtuse, but I don't understand any of this. How in the world can someone edit an image without seeing it directly?
Happens all the time.
- If you run a server and you need to generate pictures containing text, pictures containing charts.
- If you are a Calibre developer and you need to process covers, or perhaps extract cover image from pdf file
- If you want to process pdf file to series of bitmaps for OCR . This happens inside OCR software.
- if you want to make a foolproof description of how to convert an image so it can be used as cover for PocketBook 360, for example you publish following command
Code:
convert escher01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 4 -rotate "-90>" escher01.bmp
Have a look here for many, many examples of how Imagemagick can be used http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
How do I call the program form the cmd prompt? It's been years since I last used it, and even then I had trouble with it. There's nothing under "Users" on my computer. And what exactly do I do with the quote you provided for me?

Well, it depends on what machine you have.

Let's suppose you have Windows XP
Install Imagemagick from the site.
Now go to start menu, select "run" and type cmd to the prompt.
A Command Prompt - relatively small black window with a bit of text should appear.
Now type command convert to the Command Prompt and press Enter.
A long text will scroll in the window - describing all the command options 'convert' command has.
Now, let's forget about Users directory. From Graphical User Interface in windows make directory C:\work and put your files there.
Now, in Command prompt type C: and press Enter
Type cd C:\work and press enter
Now you can start working.
If you have bitmap called escher01.png in C:\work for example, you could run command
Code:
convert escher01.png -quantize GRAY +dither -colors 4 -rotate "-90>" escher01.bmp
to convert it into four color dithered greyscale and rotate it (but it will be rotated only if width is greater than height.)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote