Thread: Silliness Quiz
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #10719
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Stitchawl has it!

Count the number of letters in each word of the poem.

It was slightly easier for Europeans, as then the punctuation in the poem matched how numbers are written out, using a comma for the decimal marker.

And yes, I did just write out Pi from memory to 20 digits....

.... even though Pi is wrong, and Tau is the proper circle constant.

Over to Stitchawl for the next one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'll put it into a spoiler so someone with real skills can still figure it out. When it comes to this particular 'skill set' I just estimate and guess. I seem to be pretty close to the money with most of my 'guesses.' I can usually look at a full shopping cart and take almost the exact number of bills from my wallet without actually 'figuring it out.'

Spoiler:
It was HIMS's mention of Shepard's 'Pie' that did it. And I guess somewhere in the back of my brain knowing your love of numbers subconsciously joined in, I went back and counted the number of letters in the words. I could never 'use' it to solve problems and get the correct answers, but I could always remembered the various formula that it was supposed to give answer to. I have no problem 'remembering' it to the five decimal places that the teachers drilled into us. I just can't 'use' Pi!

Stitchawl
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote