View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
rachaelandrews
Enthusiast
rachaelandrews doesn't litterrachaelandrews doesn't litter

Device: iLiad Second Edition
Best for font size support - Ilead or Cybook Gen3 ?

Hi bods,

I am looking for an e reader. Main concern is that I have very poor vision so large fonts are a must. And I mean large !

Abit of research tells me that the Cybook gen3 can have user defined fonts. Does this really mean that I can add whatever font I choose in whatever size (The wiki seems to indicate a choice of 12 font sizes - are they user configurable or set ?) The large size is more important than the choice of fonts, iyswim.

I hear that the Ilead can run some third party applications after requesting shell access from iRex. FBReader seems to support really large fonts, and as I understand it the included MobiPocket reader will go up to about 36pt but with limited font choice ? How many font sizes does the Ilead support ?

I see that some people on this forum seem to favour the Cybook gen3 if visual acuity is an issue.

I like the Ilead for tinkering, wifi, note taking and the large screen. But the Cybook is attractive for being lighter and less expensive. Both support audio books from what I gather.
I just don't know which to go for !

Are there any other concerns I should be considering with regards to readability that would sway me between one device or another ?
I have seen neither device in the flesh and neither am I able to (unfortunately this is not going to change).

I have also considered the Sony PRS 505 (not large enough font sizes from what I have read), and the Kindle (not available here in the UK yet). Are there any others that could suit my font requirements better ?

Thanks for any info.

Rachael
rachaelandrews is offline   Reply With Quote