View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #58
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
A couple of questions for current Kobo users...

Has Kobo come up with a way to organize things on your reader yet? Can it be done off device and if no how hard is it to do on device?

My impression, which may be wrong, is that every Kobo device to come out has been buggy and had buggy firmware releases true or not? It just seems to me I see more complaints about it than I do other devices.

Thanks for answering. The new readers look like an interesting possibility.
There are now bookshelves on the Kobo Touch. They are somewhat awkward to get to, but they work. Only kepub books sync with the bookshelves and are remembered after a factory reset. In part, at least, it is a privacy related issue.There is a new Calbre driver in the works that improves on them and makes the shelves more usefull for ePUB and other formats.

My sense (and I am a huge Kobo fan) is that quality control has taken a few steps forward since they have deep-pocket Rakutan on-board. I have always been torn about how Kobo releases new features. On the one hand, they don't make folks wait for new hardware before adding improvements. On the other hand, some of the in-between releases definitely need work.

Currently some folks are using a release that was never intended to be used outside of Japan, whilst the beta group is continuing to help out as what looks like a universal release is still being tested. Folks are impatient and asking for the release before it is fully baked. If it were to be released today, tomorrow people would be singing the blues about quality.

As I said, I am torn.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote