View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Shouldn't the names of devices be catchier?

Ebook readers tend to be named with boring names: PRS-Whatever, Pocketbook +Number, Kindle (= turn on)... I mean, I understand that their primary function is allowing their users to read and not showing off a name, but I feel it is a bit of a shame to let perfectly good names go to waste due to lack of imagination.

Furthermore, I'd daresay ebook readers have better reasons to get catchier names than mobile phones or tablets: dedicated readers are usually bought by people who read much more than the average, thus they'd be able to recognise and appreciate the value of euphony, and they'd able as well to make associations which can be beneficial to the sales potential of these particular products. Plus, they intend to be more durable than other kinds of devices, so it's a good idea to find a good name which creates brand loyalty in its own (aside of course of your own marketing capabilities and budget).

I'll give you an example of what I mean: IMO a good name for a reading device was iLiad. It conveyed an idea of adventure, wisdom and venerability which come of course from Homer's work, but which, in my mind, could "flow" to the device. I couldn't buy it at its time, but I admit the name made it more sympathetic to me than other competitors called PRS-700 or Hanlin 6.1. It was more expensive too, true

I think more creativity could be put in naming ebook readers.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote