View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #43
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Agreed, a lot of it does depend upon the disk. Yet a lot of it also depends upon licensing. Linux distributions can afford to include virtually all of the available drivers and applications because the dominant licensing schemes permit it. Microsoft cannot do so unless they have the rights to do so, which means negotiating with third parties or sticking to the standards. The competitive nature of the commercial marketplace also creates headaches. Microsoft is not going to ship Windows with LibreOffice because it competes with their own office suite. Microsoft probably wouldn't get away with shipping Windows with their own office suite because it would be deemed as anti-competitive.
I was talking about hardware drivers, not applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Windows itself though is awfully temperamental.

I think the best way to summarize the difference between Linux and Windows in this respect is that Windows is uniformly difficult.
That is the exact opposite of my experience.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote