View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Kobo is planning on being available in more countries across the globe but we don't know when and I have not memorized the countries. I know Australia is one and I thought Germany and a few other European countries were on the list.

The problem is that the Kobo does not have many of the features that the OP wants.

What the OP needs to ask himself is how is he going to use the device.

Does he really need a web browser? I don't use mine even though the DXG and K3 have one. The K3 is better then the DX but I would rather wait until I was on my netbook or home computer to check the web.

Does he really need an MP3 player? I have never used mine on any of my Kindles. My IPod works better for me and is small enough to fit into my pocket or clip onto what I am wearing.

Does he really need a replaceable battery? I didn't use that feature on my K1.

If he really wants all of those features then he is probably going to a Kindle. If he thinks about it and does not want those features, he should probably go with a Sony. I believe that they are available in Taiwan.
I own a Sony, but did not suggest one simply because the model he would need is the PRS-950 which cost a little more then he wants to spend.

Some lucky folks have found a 950 at their local Best Buy on sale for 199 but that seems to have been a one-time deal, and at the SonyStyle web site they are $299, which is about a hundred dollars more than the OP was looking to spend.

If the OP has a friend in the U.S. who is willing to check out his or her local Borders or Best Buy and can find one on clearance for $199 then I would DEFINITELY have them grab one at that price.

Amongst the compact readers, the Sony 950 does have the unique distinction of having a larger 7 inch eInk 1024x600 screen instead of a 6 inch 800x600 screen, which makes it a better bet for PDF viewing, and I agree that the original poster would undoubtedly be quite happy with this reader, IF one can be found at a reasonable price.

As far as the Kindle goes -

I'm sorry, but I don't think giving someone a Kindle sales pitch based on a big list of 'features' THAT JUST DON"T WORK VERY WELL, is doing them any favors.

I don't think that the Kindle 3 battery is considered user replaceable, any more than the Nook, Kobo, or Sony.

I have seen instructions on the web about how to disassemble them and do the change anyway, and I suspect that this will eventually be true for the new Nook and Kobo Touch as well.

After using a Kindle for a week, I would NOT recommend one to to my worst enemy;

- It's keyboard interface is hideous even by 1980 MS-DOS standards, with lot's on arcane ALT-THIS and ALT-THAT 'shortcuts'.

- Between klutzy keyboard navigation, and slow and jumpy eInk screen, the web browser is really NOT a pleasant web surfing experience.

- The so-called MP3 music and audio book playback are so poorly implemented as to be USELESS - You can't even select tracks for background music, and It will take you a week to find your place in a full CD length MP3 file audio book using Kindles hideous playback controls. NO JOKING, THE AUDIO PLAYER ON THE KINDLE IS THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A COMMERCIAL PRODUCT.

- If you want to re-flow a PDF, or convert foreign format on your Kindle, you have e-mail the book or document to yourself though Amazon so they can convert it for you - Talk about KLUDGEY CRAP - The Kobo, Sony, and Nook all do re-flow and almost all other document handling internally, and do at least as good a job of it in the process as Amazon (most say better)

It goes just goes on-and-on.

In fairness, the actual reading experience on the Kindle isn't too bad.

The Kindle does have a pretty good default font, and the eInk Pearl screen looks great.

And let's face it, for simple reading, all you are basically dealing with is the page-forward and page-back buttons, and this apparently was too simple even for Amazon to screw up.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote