View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
kelsoanim
kelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to beholdkelsoanim is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color and Motorola Xoom
Thanks for the recommendations guys! Sounds like "The Selfish Gene" is a good book to start with.

I guess I tend to lean more towards the popular science sorts of books. I am not working in any industry related to science, I just like learning things casually for fun. That is probably the reason I keep seeing books with lots of anti-religion content in them, I'm browsing the popular books written for the masses (ie, me). Popular science books are becoming more and more defensive about creationism and seem to dedicate chapters towards why it is wrong, rather than just focusing on evolution itself. I feel like this is just in response to the continuing news coverage and even political debate about teaching evolution in school and the resistance that some school districts have. There are also still pushes to teaching creationism in schools, which I completely disagree in. I think public schools and church should be separate. This may be localized to America, which seems to be on the short bus when it comes to fully accepting and teaching evolution (or good general science for that matter) in schools when compared to, well, the rest of the world.
kelsoanim is offline   Reply With Quote