View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #84
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Anyone doing watermarking is going to add in information that identifies the customer's account with the bookshop that sold the book. The bookshop will have details like CC number/address or Paypal account.

But I don't think that any watermarking would directly include personal data. The link to the bookshop account is sufficient.
OK, so that basic bookshop account info is going to be visible? Because unless it is, how does my hypothetical author find the specific pirate who's costing him money by uploading books? So now the watermark is going to say Peter Pirate got this book at Amazon. And then what? Author contacts Amazon and Amazon gives out personal information, just on the author's say-so? Amazon takes on the job of contacting Peter Pirate?

I really don't see it. My first impression was, yeah, fine, watermark, won't affect me, but the more I think about it, about how it might actually work, it looks like a recipe for trouble. I think there might be huge privacy issues with it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote