View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
With anything you publish *publicly*. Important distinction. And of course, that only applies to their users, not "other people with the same names as our users," which would make it hard to support any actual content-grabbing.
Everything one publishes on the internet is public, if it's not password protected or something. How would they check if a site that holds content by a "Mr. X" is actually the same "Mr. X" as one of their users? That's impossible to check, therefore it's not possible to follow up on the rights they seem to give themselves.

Same thing, as one of our Dutch politicians tried to do some time ago. "I want to completely forbid illegal downloading. The user has to check if the files that they download are on that site legally."

So, uh... Sir. You really think that it is possible to check legality of every link, if I type in "Harry Potter epub" in Google, to see if I can by it somewhere? For all I know, the first link is a direct link to an archive containing all the epubs in retail quality. (And yes, I have encountered this, while searching for information on an author or a book.)

Almost everybody can put almost everything on the internet. It's impossible to check if this is done by the same person, or legally, without expending a great amount of time and resources; and you also need to have the appropriate knowledge. What may be illegal in country X may be perfectly legal in country Y.

Quote:
The claim isn't enough to make it true. However, yeah, the TOS is awful.
I assume that there will be people with the applicable knowledge to put that company in its place in due time.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote